Favorite films

Recent activity

All

Recent reviews

More
  • Corridor

    Corridor

    Unattainable desire in a linear architecture of anticipation. Conceptually dependent on male gaze, but as a pure aesthetic it's fantastic, even through the added abstraction of VHS garble. The location is perfectly selected, demarcated by ovals of harsh lighting. More than the human locus of seeking here, I'm curious as to what lies in the darkness just beyond those stairs...

    vimeo.com/33913167

  • 7362

    7362

    With the images largely solarized, posterized, retinted, and mirrored into abstraction (beautifully colored at that), context does a lot to generate meaning. The opening sounds of a geiger counter reframes the images follow as scientific, perhaps even military, vaguely threatening. Early industrial or architectural visual sources reframe the later appearance of organic bodies as dehumanized parts of a complex mechanized system.

Popular reviews

More
  • Knife+Heart

    Knife+Heart

    ★★★★½

    A couple years ago, Maya and I got caught up in a conversation on a feature film we'd have tried to make if that was something we could reasonably do: a modern giallo rethinking where exclusively beautiful young men die, free to bask in the questionable aesthetics of death the genre trades in by flipping the codes. It seemed so obvious that we couldn't believe no one had done it, at least as far as we could think of. Well…

  • Totally Fucked Up

    Totally Fucked Up

    Someone warned me that this was about 85 percent teen angst, but they failed to tell me that the other 15 percent was postmodern video diary structuralism, complete with Dennis Cooper name check. And I can't not love that early Araki energy, or the way gay fiction of this era posits a universe where straight people are relegated to background plot points at best. One of the leads gets seduced by the promise of rare Nine Inch Nails bootlegs, but honestly the whole early 90s industrial/fuzz zeitgeist soundtrack is a delight.