Justin Peterson’s review published on Letterboxd:
The Conjuring: satanic cult, exorcist, and even a dash of 'The Shining' edition!
"The court accepts the existence of God, every time a witness swears to tell the truth. I think it is about time they accept the existence of the devil ... How are you going to convince a jury if you can't even convince me? ... I'll tell you what, you come over to our house for dinner. We'll show you the evidence we have collected over the years. Introduce you to Annabelle. If you are not convinced we'll butt out."
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It was not as scary as the original, but wow was it tense! But those closing credits with the actual recordings are what gave me some serious chills!
(Quick Hits) ... spoilers:
- The plot gets going quickly with an exorcism off the top, and we even get an homage of that iconic shot of the priest getting out of the car from 'The Exorcist'
- Shower of BLOOD!
- So the guy tells the demon to take him instead of the little boy, and then everyone thinks everything is just hunky-dory???
- I remember when I drove my parents nuts as a kid by putting a hole in their water bed
- The story takes a unique twist with the possessions being a curse that comes and goes. It was interesting how the possessed person ended up killing their victim because they thought they were being attacked by a demon
- I figured this would mostly be a courtroom movie, but instead it leans more heavily on the Warren's investigation of the curse. And I enjoyed how they showed Lorraine using her very powerful telepathy to connect the pieces of this satanic mystery
- They must have really thought that bloated corpse was scary since they used it twice ... it wasn't
- Ed was going full on "Here's Johnny" at the end!
Bottom line The Conjuring 3 is a pretty creepy mystery, but it did not get under my skin.
What are some of your favorite exorcism movies?
Thanks for reading.
Happy movie watching ... Skål! 🍻