cameron’s review published on Letterboxd:
snyder cut good 👍
i never saw the original version of this movie, and i don't think i've seen any of the dc movies besides aquaman and man of steel (which i saw when it came out and dont remember at all) so i guess take what im saying with a grain of salt. don't feel like organizing my thoughts on this one so i'm just going to bullet point it. sorry!
• i think that it's a good thing that this movie got made. no matter how much of a douche snyder seems or how irritating his fans are, i think it's an awesome precedent. fans rallying against studio interference and actually noticeably moving the needle on it is really cool. i genuinely hope more rabid fanbases start demanding directors cuts in the future.
• this is 10x more visually interesting than any other superhero movie i've seen. slow motion will always work on me. the fight scenes are really cool. steppenwolf fighting the amazons on horseback near the beginning was so sick.
• steppenwolf's spiky armor looks really cool but his face is horrible. that weird mouth they gave him makes him look like he's constantly about to burst into tears. luckily that design is saved by the parademons, who look extremely sick. i don't care that they're just a generic grunt enemy because of how cool they look. great design.
• when i saw "part 1" fade into the screen i was like fuck yes. so sick to give it chapter title cards. so stupid so awesome
• it's paced impressively well for something 4 hours long. besides the epilogue, i never felt like i was waiting for the movie to end. something cool was always waiting around the corner.
• the effects look pretty shitty sometimes, but honestly they look shitty in a refreshing way. cyborg looks 'bad', but he looks bad in a "stylistic ps2 graphics" kind of way, not a "our supercomputers haven't figured out how to mimic reality yet" kind of way.
• speaking of cyborg, i've heard that in the joss whedon version they cut a ton of him. that's fucking bizarre to me, because he's the only character in this movie that has any kind of arc. every other character is an emotional void.
• the flash is maybe one of the most insufferable characters i've seen in a movie. it's like when they sucked all the whedon-isms out of the rest of the movie they injected them into the flash. i was praying for him to die the entire time. absolutely atrocious.
• gal gadot is a horrible actress
• pump long hair joker wearing swat gear into my veins. he looks so cool.
• i love how cyborg is like this gothic frankenstein's monster type character. such a cool choice that works really well, especially when he's doing shit like digging up his own grave.
• having a sequence where they exhume superman and resurrect him is such a cool story choice. i wish they had gone a little nastier with it, but i understand that snyder wants him to be jesus so i get why they didn't go full zombie shit.
• i didnt understand what that desert scene in the epilogue meant at all. was that supposed to be a dream or an alternate universe or what? i'm grateful we got to see cool joker in it but i just didn't get it.
• give this shit a sequel! please! this is the direction i want to see superhero movies move in!
maybe will edit more stuff in as i think of it. sorry for long annoying review. good movie. probably better than any of the mcu movies.