“Actually, I hadn’t been that close to anyone for a while. The road wasn’t that long and I knew I’d soon be getting off. But at that moment, I felt such warmth.”
Wong Kar Wai edges closer to being my new favorite filmmaker with each one of his films I watch.
A devastating signifier of the complete corrosion of artistic integrity in studio filmmaking, this film is only the latest marker of this current moment in film culture: a moment which shows that films like Taxi Driver or The King of Comedy - two films this monstrosity blatantly imitates - are never going to be made or distributed by major studios again unless attached to a comic book IP. The potential brilliance of these kinds of stories is therefore neutered. Perverted. Squandered.…
several things are true about this musical:
1. the music unfortunately fucking SLAPS.
2. the show is also unfortunately brilliantly staged, choreographed, and acted.
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda should be jailed.
4. this show has done tremendous things for representation in a remarkably white-dominated industry, and also does something very interesting in reclaiming history for the minorities that are constantly erased from that same history.
5. the show, regardless of all these good things, is ultimately revisionist, sugarcoated faux-progressive diversity porn…