This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
john’s review published on Letterboxd:
This review may contain spoilers.
This is going to be so convoluted and long because I want to remember the first time I watched this movie for the rest of my life.
I am 34 minutes removed from my 10:10PM showing.
So first, I almost cried at two points in this movie, and somehow both involved Spider-Man. When the third act was coming to a close and Peter came on screen, I literally thought I was gonna lose it. I've never been that happy to see a character ever in my life.
The second time, is when Tony dies. That shit hurt. Spider-Man made it hurt more.
I had half of this movie already predicted in my head for about a month, but everything seemed fresh and I wasn't mad, because it all felt like it was supposed to happen. Like Dr. Strange said, there's only one way.
Things that caught me off guard though, include:
- THEY KILLED BLACK WIDOW DOG, WTH. Guess the Black Widow movie is gonna be a prequel after all. And I guess that's her last movie.
- Captain America coming back to the present old as hell AND Bucky not being the one to replace him.
- The extreme lack of Captain Marvel in this movie. It was just the perfect amount of screen time (and that haircut..... sis, I know a fellow gay when I see one)
- Valkyrie is the Queen of New Asgard!
- Stan Lee!!!!!!!
Things that were just plain fucking awesome:
- Thor chopping Thanos' fucking head off
- The super sick shot from The Avengers!!!!!!
- Stark using the Infinity Gauntlet 2.0
- TONY FUCKING STARK HAS A CHILD.
- that super badass shot with all the women from Marvel! That was some top-tier shit!
- STEVE ROGERS USES MJOLNIR BRO
- HAIL HYDRA
- The scenes with Stark and his dad
- Nebula got the redemption arc she truly deserved
- Literally just seeing Scott Lang made this movie 100x better
- The final scene with Steve and Peggy :-(
Yes, this movie is 100% "Fan Service: The Movie (Part Two)" but god damn if I didn't need it. I know I'm going to watch this at least four more times in theaters and probably several times when it comes out on Blu-Ray, but I'm so happy I got to watch this spoiler free, on opening night.
Nothing is going to be as good as watching this for the first time.
RIP Tony "Iron Man" Stark, Vision, and Natasha "Black Widow" Romanoff
AND I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD IF Y'ALL HURT TOM HOLLAND ANYMORE IN "FAR FROM HOME" I'M FUCKING DONE